Saturday, March 19, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Recap

Thursday was the day that I definitely look forward to more than most days... St. Patrick's Day!!! It was also a healthy reminder of how Irish cheer transcends many a situation. Although this year has been a rough one for many of the people closest to me, St. Patrick's Day was one where all of the woes and fears seemed to sit on the shelf for the simple discipline of being. I once heard someone say that we aren't human 'doings,' and I'm finding that to be more apparent in numerous capacities as our lives become riddled with 'doing.' Thursday wasn't anything lavish in terms of an 'Irish Extravaganza,' it was nothing more than dinner, a pint or three and enjoying the presence of one another's spirits. It sometimes upsets me that people take St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to become hammered drunk and go to extreme lengths to share Irish 'Spirits,' in more ways than one. For me St. Patrick's Day is a reminder of a man who went through extreme strife and tribulations and rose above the odds to speak truth. When I went to Northern Ireland for the first time a few years ago I didn't realize fully the extent of St. Patrick's mission while he was in slavery but how he heard God speak to him directly to go back to his home of Ireland to share the gospel. I must admit- this is something that I personally resonated with this call more this year than ever in terms of recognizing God's voice and how actively He pursues us into what we are called to do as sons and daughters of the Kingdom. It is starting to sink in that this time next year I'll be among the same people-group (those lovely Irish folks :) doing the same things that St. Patrick himself lived his life doing, sharing and showing the love of Christ in a way that people will remember and will undoubtedly hear the voice of truth. So, Happy St. Patrick's Day and 'may your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.' (the photo above is the wee town of Dundrum, Northern Ireland - taken from the Dundrum castle).

No comments:

Post a Comment